Working Bees generally happen once a term, and although certain class years are specifically called upon, anyone and everyone is welcome to attend as many as you like! You don’t need to be an expert gardener by any stretch, just have a bit of a go and work with others to make our school grounds look a little more tidy! It’s also a great opportunity to get to know other families and have a chat which you might not always have the time for at drop offs/pickups.
Working Bee General Information:
- Meeting point: Outside the Canteen from designated start time of Bee (where the sign in sheet will be), then wherever you find groups of people working.
- General duties: Weeding, pruning, picking up rubbish (a great job for the little ones), sweeping, edging, mulching, and planting to name a few.
- Equipment for general ground work: gardening gloves, secateurs, rakes, spades/pitchforks, wheelbarrows. Less important – blowers, whipper snippers, ledge shears, garden waste bags, hoses and attachments. We do not have access to any of the school’s equipment so if you are willing to bring your own equipment please clearly label it. Tools with fully charged power packs, petrol driven trimmers/blowers etc. are preferable as outdoor power outlets are limited. Old newspapers also come in handy to layer for weed control before mulching.
- Light refreshments, water and sunscreen will be provided by the P&C.
- House points for your child are awarded for attending, and don’t forget $2/adult if you would like to become a member of the P&C and be covered for insurance purposes.
Hope to see you there! Come for an hour or several, whatever works best around other activities.